Tomorrow (February 3rd) is a day called Setsubun.
The word Setsubun has the meaning of “dividing the seasons”.
In this article, I will explain how to make roasted soybeans for Setsubun and the procedure for the Setsubun event.
What do we do for Setsubun?
Roasted soybeans are thrown outside and inside the house to drive away demons (diseases and disasters that tend to occur during the change of seasons) and at the same time purify the house.
Eat Futomaki called eho-maki, which contain seven kinds of ingredients. It is said that if you eat it on the night of Setsubun, facing the direction of the year’s blessing, you will have prosperous business and good health.
How to prepare?
The beans used in the Setsubun event need to be cooked. This is because there is a saying that it is not good if sprouts appear from beans that you forget to pick up.
Also, roasted soybeans can be enjoyed by both children and adults as a very healthy snack. They’re so easy to make, you’ll definitely want to make them before nightfall on Setsubun!
Here is a recipe for roasted soybeans that is easy for kids to eat and not too hard.
How to make Roasted beans
What you need to prepare
- Dried soybeans
- Boiling water
1. Put the dried soybeans in a bowl, pour in four times the amount of boiling water, and leave for two hours. After that, drain them in a colander and let them dry for 2 hours.
2. Place the prepared beans on a baking sheet lined with a cookie sheet so that they do not overlap, and place in the oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
The baking time will vary depending on the amount of beans and the moisture content of the beans, but 35-40 minutes is a good rule of thumb.
3. When the beans have finished cooking, transfer them to a colander and let them cool and harden.
The smell while they’re baking is to die for!
How to make Ehomaki
What you need to prepare
- Nori (Seaweed)
- Makisu / plastick film to roll the Furomaki
- Cooked rice (with vineger and suger if you like)
- 7 different ingredients
JUST ONE COOKBOOK: Futomaki (Maki Sushi)
Simply put, it is a futomaki with seven different ingredients. You can use whatever ingredients you like. Sushi rice is delicious, but you can also use regular rice if you like. You can use Japanese rice or short grain rice such as jasmine rice or Italian rice.
Procedure of Mamemaki
1) Prepare roasted soybeans by nightfall on Setsubun. Put the roasted soybeans in a box if you have one, put it on a white paper, and offer it in a high place in the house.
2) To prevent demons from entering through doorways, decorate gates and entrances with holly sprigs with sardine heads on them. This is because demons are said to have a strong dislike for sardines and holly.
In fact, most families do not do this. In Norway, it can be difficult because fresh sardines are not always available.
But don’t worry! Some regions use garlic and leeks instead of sardines, so you might as well try it.
3) The bean-throwing ceremony starts when it is dark outside. Open all doors, including the front door, balcony, and windows.
4) Holding the beans in your hand, start from the entrance and go around each room. Repeat “Oni wa soto” (devil is outside) and “Fuku wa uchi” (good fortune is inside) twice at each entrance and exit, while throwing beans. The correct way to throw the beans is to hold the masu in your left hand at chest height, and throw it with your right hand.
5) As soon as you finish throwing the beans, close the door. This is to keep out the demons and to keep the good luck away.
(6) When the bean-throwing is over, the whole family eats the beans together, which are called “Toshitori-mame”. It is customary to eat only the beans of one’s own age, or the number of one’s age plus one.
Store the leftover roasted soybeans in a container that can prevent moisture and enjoy them as a snack from the next day.
Procedure of Ehomaki eating
In 2022, the direction of blessing is 345°.
Make a futomaki roll with seven kinds of ingredients, and eat it without cutting it, facing south-southeast.
You should not talk until you finish eating your Futomaki.
If you make too large Futomaki, it will be difficult to eat without cutting, so we recommend using half the size of nori.
It’s so fun and nice to be able to enjoy a traditional Japanese event in Norway.
This is an easy event to prepare and enjoy with couples, friends or family.
Masu: Square wooden box/cupkr179.00
Natural Nigari for tofu making (Magnesium chloride)kr99.00
Hinoki cypress Tofu making kitkr649.00